Sunday, June 4, 2017

He Who Provides All I Need

Romans 8:32
He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all - how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things?

What more do we need to know about Him? Why would a good Father who has already given me everything and has already provided for my biggest need, salvation, not give me everything that I need for this life on Earth?
Last week I didn't really believe this about my friendships though. I sat on a bus on the way to New York City with 120 that I had barely met, and I was scared. I was scared that I would not have any friends and that I would have no one to care about me that week and this whole summer. I was scared because I felt like I had to do all of the work to make friends myself. I had spent four days already trying to be a part of everything that I could and meet as many people as possible, for fear that I would spend another summer in lonely exile.
Graciously, the Lord knew that I would need company and community to make it through this week. When I sat down on the bus at 6:00 Sunday morning, I was not in the seat that I wanted to be in. I was next to a girl that I kind of knew, but I was far from the group of people that I wanted to be sitting with. These were the people that I had been attempting to become friends with since orientation stated. They are the people who are always doing something, always laughing, and always having fun. These were the people that I wanted to be around. Haye were people that would sufficiently distract me from the hard parts of this summer and that would be a good place for me to hide and pretend to be happy with.
But that is not where I was, instead I was at the back of the bus and feeling alone. Then I made a choice to give myself grace, to allow myself to be alone for a little while and to spend time with the Lord. I put in my headphones and pulled out my journal and began praying. "Lord, your plan is so much better than mine. I know that you are a good Father, and that you know what you are doing this summer. If it is your plan for me to have another lonely summer, then work your will in that. But Lord if you have people for me to build with this summer, please bring me to them." I gave up on trying so hard to make friends and gave it to God.
And He was so, so faithful. The Lord is so good. He brought me to a group of girls who had been praying the same thing to Him. These girls were not fun-loving people for me to hide behind, but truth-seeking people who would be so sweet to me when I shared with them my struggles form this past year. They made my 21st birthday so fantastic and they were exactly the people that I needed for this past week. The Lord is so good and so faithful. He provides all that we need.
He was faithful in other parts of the trip as well. He filled me with boldness to talk to a woman in a coffee shop who was in desperate need of encouragement. He provided a connection with some Buddhist Monks who we prayed over even as they were in the midst of seeking false gods. He provided me with the most wonderful evangelism group to spend the week with. And when I felt convicted of my apathy, and of my unwillingness to share the gospel, He provided me with abundant grace. He is so good and so faithful to me. And I can feel myself falling so much deeper in love with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment